The bay Ingolfsfjordur in the Strandir District is about 8 km long and 1½ km wide at the mouth. The bay itself is deep and free of obstructions for vessels, but just outside it are shallows and skerries. The lowland areas are very limited on the bay and the access to the nearest bay towards northwest, Ofeigsfiord, is a 4wd trail along the mountain slopes, and that really is the end of the road in this part of the country.
That is a starting point for many hikers, who spend days on end in this uninhabited area. Some prefer shorter hikes, and rent a boat to take them a bit further. On the other end, a boat trip to Bolungarvik or Isafiord is necessary to get back to civilization.
During the period between 1915 and 1919, the Norwegians started pickling the herring in many stations along the Ingolfsfiord Bay. Then the price of their products collapsed and this short boom ended. Between 1944 and 1946, a herring factory was built at Eyri bye entrepreneurs, who hoped to profit from the herring catch in the Huna Bay, which soon failed. The operation of the factory ended in 1952 and the hamlet was abandoned.
A few people spend the summer there to reap the natural advantages, such as eider down gathering, drift wood processing, seal hunting and fishing. The farm Munadarnes on the mouth of the bay is still occupied the whole year and is the northernmost inhabited farm of the district.
Ingolfsfjordur is on nat.is Saga Trail Strandir