Farm Melar in county Leirar- and Melasveit was the abode of the Melar dynasty, the descendants of dynasties of Reykholt and Borg.
During the Melar dynasty period, the Melar Book of Settlements was written. Four men from Melar were killed in the famous Baejar battle.
Melar became a parsonage rather early. Among the properties of the Melar church were farms Eystra Sulunes, two of the Skorholt farms, Akralaekur and England, also a wooded area at the foot of Mt. Hafnarfjall and the spit of land Seleyri.
Mr. Bjarni Arngrimsson (†1821), a pioneer in horticulture, wrote two books about it. The great grandfather of president Vigdis Finnborgdottir, reverend Jakob Finnbogason (†1888), served the Melar parish. Reverend Helgi Sigurdsson, the last one to serve it, because the it was united with the Leira parish in 1883. Reverend Helgi was also one of the founders of The National Museum. The constant sea erosion claimed both the cemetery and the old farmstead. Down by the sea are up to thirty metres high hyaloclastite cliffs containing 12.000 years old shell strata. One of the many ancient and round court walls of the country is on the property.