Hafnarnes is an abandoned fishing hamlet on the southern shores of the Faskrudsfjordur Bay. The inhabitancy there was based on the fisheries and the hamlet started developing in the late 19th century. It thrived into the Second World War and the last inhabitants left it in 1970.
The lighthouse was built in 1912. The French hospital, which was moved from the fishing village Budir, housed 5 families, a community centre and a primary school for a while.
East Iceland Saga Trail