BREIÐDALSSETUR – Science and heritage centre Located in Breiddalsvík’s oldest house “Gamla Kaupfelagið”, built in1906:
Breiðdalssetur facilitates earth and literary research activities focused on East Iceland, as well as hosting exhibitions on geology, linguistics and local history. The exhibitions are about: The geology of Norðfjarðargong tunnel, newest tunnel in Iceland, science and the mineral Iceland spar, the writer and linguist Stefán Einarsson from Breiddalur valley (1897-1972), the geology and minerals of the Eastern Fjords and the world famous British volcanologist George P.L.Walker (1926-2005). Occasionally Breiðdalssetur centre is also called “the Walker Centre”.
Breiddalssetur is open (20. June to 31. August):
Sundays to Thursdays from 12.00-16.00 Closed Fridays-and Saturdays.
Winter (1st September to 31th May):
Tuesdays and Thursdays 14:00-16:00.
No entrance fee.
Open by appointment