The small headland Glettingsnes north of the very steep Mt Glettingur, divides coves Kjolsvik and Hvalvik.
The most remote farmstead of county Borgarfjordur was located there, and the walking route was highly dangerous during winter. In the beginning of the 20th century, a long rope was fastened along the narrow path down the mountain slope to the headland.
Glettinganes was an important fishing station in the past because of the proximity of good fishing grounds. On the norther part of the headland, landing for boats was quite good despite the frequent surf. The lighthouse on the headland was built in 1931 and the caretakes house in 1933. It was abandoned in 1952.