St Mary’s Harbour is an ancient trading post on Cove Laxarvogur of the Whale Bay.
It was among the most frequented harbours of the country during the latter half of the Middle Ages (900-1500) and many documented sources (annals) mention the arrivals and departures of vessels to and from the bay. According to those sources, the bishops of Skalholt travelled to and from that place.
The bubonic plague (Black Death) was brought to St Mary’s Harbour in 1402. The captain and shipowner Einar Herjolfsson died at sea on his voyage to Iceland. His clothes along with his belongings were handed over to his relatives upon arrival. The Budasandur Beach is just west of the harbour. Beyond the lagoon, between the sand and the sea, are still prominent ruins of the houses, which stood there in the past. The harbour became obsolete in the 15th century when larger vessels required deeper harbours.