A former site of a farm, that was abandoned as early as around the year 1000, on the Alftafjordur Bay on the northern side of the Snaefellsnes peninsula.
The so-called Eyrbyggja-Saga relates names of its occupants, such as chieftain Arnkell Thorlolfsson. He was “the strongest of men, well educated in law and was clairvoyant “. He also was known for his righteousness and still he managed to get up to the wrong side of another powerful colleague, chieftain Snorri at Helgafell. Eventually it came to a showdown between them, when Snorri attacked Arnkell, where he was alone near the farm Orlygsstadir on the same bay, with the assistance of 15 of his men.
They killed Arnkell after a brave defence. His burial mound probably was eroded away by the sea a long time ago. A few ruins at Bolstadur attracted the attention of the director of the National Museum, Matthias Thordarson in 1931, who commenced archaeological excavations there, which revealed among other things a long dwelling house (skali) with traces of fireplaces. These are among the oldest unearthened ruins of the country.
Also connected with Bolstadur is the ghost story of Arnkel’s father, Thorolfur baegifotur.
According to the Eyrbyggja Saga, Geirridur, the mother of Thorolfur baegifotur, had a hall built across the main route past her farm. There she offered all passers by free food and beverages.
Her farm is said to have stood in the short valley Borgardalur above and on the eastern rise of the bay, but very few traces of it have been discovered.