Eidar is a former manor and later a primary- and secondary boarding school for decades. Shortly before the turn of the last century the school buildings were taken over by the grammar school of Egilsstadir. At the turn of the last century the school was abolished and the new owners of Eidar put forward plans for a cultural centre. During the summer the buildings are used as a hotel.
Eidar also is a church site and during catholic times, the churches were dedicated to the Holy Virgin. The present church was built in 1887. In 1883, an agricultural college was established at Eidar.
It continued until 1917, and two years later, the primary- and secondary school took over. In 1959, it became a boarding school.
The Agricultural Federation of Eastern Iceland operated a research centre there from 1905 to 1943. Near Eidar is a large relay station for the radio and ball shaped buildings containing instruments to research the northern lights (aurora borealis). Eidar also has a swimming pool, a sports field, and an open-air stage, frequently used during summer.
Lake Eidavatn is considered a nice trout and char fishing lake.
According to the Droplaugarsona Saga, the surrounding area of Eidar was so well wooded, that it was impossible to see any visitors coming until they knocked on the door. The only remnants of these woods are a few trees on the islet Eidaholmi. In 1938-39 a 500 ha area was fenced off to protect the few trees left and planted trees in the future.