Ogur was an estate and a parsonage on the utmost end of the promontory between Skotufiord and Mjoifiord.
It was the seat of powerful farmers, especially from the latter part of the 15th century until the 17th. In 1884-1885, the largest dwelling house outside towns and villages was built there. It has been abandoned. In 1928, the first small hydroelectric power station for a farm was built there.
The court of the Ogur County always assembled there. The telephone- and telegraph station was situated there as well as the county’s post office. It was one of the destinations of the scheduled ferry, which transported people and cars between Ogur and the village Isafiord, because there was no road between the two in the past. There were quite a few fishing outfits along the coastline of Ogur well into the 20th century. During the period between 1932 and 1951, Ogur was the seat of a doctor of medicine. The farmer now occupies his former dwelling house. The church at Ogur is a big and elaborate house, built in 1859. It possesses many precious things of which many are in the possession of The National Museum in the capital. The parish was abolished by law in 1970.
Ogur Church is on nat.is Saga Trail Westfjord
Photo credit: Kirkjukot.net