The former rectory at Saudanes stood in the middle of the community until people started moving away because of the fast changing economy of the country during the 20th century. The Saudanes Parish was popular among the reverends because of its many advantages, such as the eider colony, driftwood, the brown trout and lake char catch and the seal hunting.
The old rectory was built of hewn stone in 1879-81 by two brothers living at Saudanes at the time for reverend Vigfus Sigurdsson, who had served at Svalbard until he moved to Saudanes in 1869. A large teak trunk found on the premices was used for the out door entrance and several doors.
The house was occupied until 1955, when a new rectory had been built. In 1989, the National Museum of Iceland commenced the restoration of the house and during the summer of 2003, it was opened as a cultural tourist centre operated by the community according to an agreement with the National Museum.
Photo Credit: Visit North Iceland