reynistadur skagafjordur north iceland,
convents in Iceland
is a farm and a church site, approximately 10 kilometres to the south
of the fishing town Saudarkrokur. Its original name was "Stadur
on Reynisnes". Earlier it was a mansion and the seat of an earl
(Gissur Thorvaldsson; 13th century).
A catholic convent was established here in 1295. Its operation
continued until 1552, and gathered earthly wealth. After the
reformation, Reynistadur frequently was the seat of district
magistrates and the agents of the church properties.
One of the 18th century
of the central highlands of the country is related to Reynistadur.
The Reynistadur church was built of wood. The pulpit is located
directly in front of the altar, like in four other churches in the
The restored sod farmhouse has an old and original door. The
restoration was finished in 1999.
Picture: The National Museum of Iceland.
North Iceland Saga Trail
Box 8593 108 Reykjavik- tel.: