Parliamentary Plains are the most important
historic site of the country. They
are located just below the western fault line of the Icelandic Graben within the
boundaries of the first National Park, which was established in 1930. The oldest
parliament of the world was founded here in 930 on Lake Thingvallavatn, the largest
natural lake of the country with an area of 83,7 km². Its greatest depth is 114 m, and
this lowest point lies 13 m below sea level. Its discharge is
River Sog, the longest
spring fed river of the country with a very constant volume of 112 m³/sec. Three hydro
electric power stations are situated on the river, which counts among the
rivers. Very little water enters the lake on the surface, which means that it is mainly
spring fed. The natural surroundings are majestic and the contrasts are great.
There is a system of interesting hiking
trails all over the park. The present natural landscape has been
develloping for about
9000 years and is still being shaped by the plate tectonics.
The lake contains an
abundance of at least four species of char and brown trout and angling is a popular pastime.
The farmers of the area net the lake and process the fish for the
domestic and foreign markets. Thingvellir was officially added to
List in August 2004.
The distance from
the capital: 49 km and 20 km via Nesjavellir road.
49 km, Husafell 65 km via Kaldidalur
Laugarvatn 24 km via Gjabakki and