town is often called the capital of Snaefellsnes. The township has put
great effort into renovating old landmarks and houses and the ones owned
by Danish traders and merchants at the close of the 19th century and the
beginning of the 20th have been restored to their original form. The
Norwegian House has been restored in the same manner and is now the
local folk museum.
There are nearly 2700 small islands
on the bay north of Stykkisholmur and popular
cruises are operated where one can take in unusual rock formations and
enjoy a bird life paradise, enjoy scallop tasting, whale watching, and
spectacular tidal currents.
In the 1935, the Sisters
the St Francis order arrived and built a
catholic church and a convent in Stykkisholmur and later they built a
hospital and printing works.
In 2009, there were only four Fransiscus sisters were left. St.
Mary's sisters took over the convent that year. Good hotels are in town, as well as guesthouses and a camping site, and
good restaurants offer international cuisine. Lakes and rivers that
offer good trout and salmon fishing are in the vicinity. The
distance from Reykjavik is 173 km.
Borgarnes 98 km.