Skogar is the common name for two farms, a school and the open air,
communications and folk museum. The school and the museum were
inaugurated in 1949. The school buildings are used as a summer hotel.
The curator of the folk museum was the initiator of its foundation and
he is responsible for its collection and development for
over six decades. He is still going
strong and enjoys showing the visitors around. Old houses have been restored and
rebuilt on the museum grounds. The church is a replica of old country churches but the
inside decorations are old artefacts from old,
bygone churches. The church was consecrated by the Lutheran
bishop in 1998. There had been no church at
Skogar for two and a half centuries,
when that happened. The
alluvial plain south of Skogar shows us clearly, that it is possible to turn the
grey gravel and sand deserts green again and down
by the sea it is possible to spot the harbour seals tumbling in the water.
A popular hiking trail crosses the Mt Pass Fimmvorduhals
The distance from the capital is about 154 km.
48 km Hvolsvollur