was built in 1850 and was burned in 1900 in the wake
of the outbreak of typhus. Its ruins are still obvious to the north of
the car park, near the airport fence.
During World War II,
the area around the cove was a major Allied Atlantic Base. A memorial
to the Norwegian air force stationed there stands by the service centre.
A brook with hot
runoff water from the city central heating systems was a popular bathing
spot until it was closed in 1985. The site was redeveloped with a
service centre, sandy beach and a sheltered, heated lagoon, and opened
in the year 2000. The water temperature of the lagoon usually is
between 18-20°C, and 30-35°C in the hot pots.
Walking and jogging
paths stretch right along the shoreline, and into the wooded area of the
Cove Nautholsvik was awarded the Blue Flag
Certificate. This award is granted beaches, which offer high
quality environments. The Siglunes Sailing
Club arranges pleasure cruises on the bay. Rowing boats, canoes, and
small sail boats can be rented on Thursdays during summer.
Nautholl is a
licensed restaurant offering a wide menu. It is open all year round.
Snacks are on sale in the service centre.