is a farm and a church site in the Fljotshlid County.
Catholic churches there were dedicated to St. Thorlakur the
bishop at Skalholt (1133-1193).
The church was abolished and the parish united with the Teigur
Parish in 1802.
In 1896 the churches at Teigur and Eyvindarmuli were abolished
and the parishes united with a church at Hlidarendi.
The present wooden church was built in 1897.
It is protected with corrugated iron and seats 180 people.
(See The Churches of Iceland).
settler of the Fljotshlid Area was Baugur Raudsson.
He lived at Hlidarendi.
His grandson was Gunnar Hamundarson, the most important
personality of the Njalís Saga.
To the northeast of the present farmhouses is rather a large
mound, which is called Gunnarshaugur.
According to the legend, Gunnar was buried there.
It is, however, unlikely, because it is a rocky mound, not
Near the church and the farmhouses are ruins of an ancient farm,
which is said to be Gunnarís farm.
Thorlakur Thorhallsson (1133-1193) The Holy was born at Hlidarendi.
After his studies abroad, he spent some time at the convent in
Kirkjubaer in the present Sida County and then became the prior of the
Thykkvibaer monastery before he became bishop at Skalholt in 1178. He
strived for increased power and influence for the Church in worldly
matters and met with great resistance from the worldly leaders, such as
Jon Loftsson at Oddi, one of the most influential and learned leaders of
Bishop Thorlakur led a very strict life and shortly after his
death, the Icelanders started looking to him as a holy man.
He was not canonized until shortly before Pope John Paulís
visit to the country in 1988.
(Saga trail South Iceland)