Hofsos is a small, friendly village on the eastern shores of the
Skagafjordur Bay and one of the oldest trading posts in Iceland. Trading commenced here
over four centuries ago
and remainders from this long period of trading can
be seen in "Pakkhusid" (the Warehouse), which
was built in 1772, close to the end of the Danish trade monopoly
(1785) and has
since been restored.
The regional folk museum at Hofsos
the mass emigration from Iceland to North America in the
late 19th and the early 20th centuries.
It is save to say, that the entire village has been renovated, old buildings restored, some of
which house old style restaurants. A place worth a visit for those who seek
in beautiful surroundings. The distance from Reykjavik: 345 km by the Whale Bay tunnel.
58 km <Hofsos>
Sauđarkrokur 37 km,
Varmahlid 48 km via Blonduhlid.
emigrants leaving Iceland
for USA & Canada after Askja 1875 eruption