This town is also known as The Town
in the Lava Field or The Town of the Elves. It received its municipal
rights in 1908 and developed around one of the most important trading
post for centuries. The rich
fishing grounds are nearby and the deep sea angling boats are
specially equipped for the purpose.
The catch belongs to the anglers, who can have it prepared in one of the
restaurants in town upon request or in some instances on the boats. The
distance from the capital to Hafnarfjordur is 12 km.