This church belongs to the Thorlakshofn benefice in
the Arnes deanery. It is the parish church of Selvogur,
served by the reverend at Thorlakshofn. It is remotely situated, as there are no
other houses standing at Strond.
During the centuries, people have
pledged to the church in cases of illnesses and difficulties, and the
church has grown quite rich. According to a legend, the cove on which
the church stands is called The Angel’s Cove. Some fishermen in
danger at sea made the pledge to build a church where they would find
land suddenly saw a bright light on the coast, which guided them to
safety. When the landed, they saw a bright figure standing there. They
lived up to their pledge and built the church. The sculpture „Landfall"
was unveiled near the church during Whit sun in 1950.