Skogar Museum Church,

More About Iceland


SKOGAR
MUSEUM CHURCH

.

.

Buses-Flights
Ferries-Car rentals

This church belongs to the Holt benefice in the Rangarvellir deanery. Its architecture depicts the old stile of such churches. It looks very simple and the wall around it, made of sod and stones, is artistically built. The last church at Skogar was pulled down in 1890 and the Lutheran bishop consecrated the new one in 1998.

Its possessions are a collection of artefacts from old churches in the district and are differently old. The benches and the wallboards were brought from the Kalfholt church (1879). The window frames are from the Grof church in Skaftartunga (1898). The altar rails are from the Stori-Dalur church (1895), the altar from the Sigluvik church in the Landeyjar County, and the pulpit from the Haibaer church in the Thykkvabaer County. The altarpiece, from the Holt church, is the pride of the new church.

These are only a few of the precious possessions of the Skogar church, which is well worth a closer inspection, when people visit the remarkable Skogar Folk Museum.

(Saga trail South Iceland)


BACK               Nat.is - Box 8593 108 Reykjavik- Iceland - nat@nat.is - about us - sources               HOME