church belongs to the Laugaland benefice of the Eyjafiord deanery.
It is believed, that a church was built at Modruvellir soon after
The present church was built of wood and consecrated in 1848.
It was blown of its foundations in 1972 and soon afterwards it
was reconstructed and consecrated in 1988.
A listed belfry from 1781 still stands by the church.
Among the valuable assets of the church is an altarpiece from
Nottingham (1484), donated by the church warden at the time.
In 1992 the churchyard was levelled and the stone wall around it
The church is the property of the farmer of Modruvellir.
North Iceland Saga Trail