This church belongs to the
Hruni benefice in the Arnes deanery. It was built of wood, covered
with corrugated iron sheets in 1865. Catholic churches in Hruni were
dedicated to the Holy Virgin, archbishop Thomas, Thorlakur the Holy
and St. Catherine.
According to the legends, the earlier churches
stood on top of a rocky mound near the farm, where the so-called Hruni-giantís
profile can be seen in the cliffs. Once a Reverend, who served there
for a time, started holding parties in the church on Christmas Eve.
The congregation drank and danced, played cards and behaved indecently
the whole night every time. Eventually the devil himself could not
stand the temptation and appeared at the dance. He frowned terribly
and pulled the church with all the people down to hell.